Have you just bought your first skateboard? Means you have stumbled upon the right article since we have gathered the most effective exercises for skateboarders with balance board.
If you still have not got a balance board, look through these amazing exercises to make sure it is a must for both snowboarders, skateboarders and everyone who is keen on extreme sports.
THESE ARE JUST A FEW ADVANTAGES BALANCE BOARD CAN BOAST OF:
- First of all, you can do exercises indoors and outdoors. When skating, you need to be indoors to do all tricks properly, but all you need for these exercises is your balance board and some spare several square meters.
- Moreover, in comparison with other trainers, balance board provides reasonable price, so you can afford it.
- In addition, it is light-weight, so you can take it while traveling and do exercises wherever you want.
1. Rolling from Side to Side
Since you are a novice in skating, first of all pay attention to your protection while exercising.
For this exercise, we offer for you to take a chair you can hold. For the next exercises, you can also use a wall or an armchair, but here a plain chair suits the best.
All you need is a roller, a balance board and a chair.
- Put a chair so you can grad its back easily. Speaking about distance, it shouldn’t be longer than 10 cm between you and chair.
- Now stand on a balance board as usual and keep balance for 1-2 minutes.
Even though you may think keeping balance on a board is more complicated than balancing on a skateboard, it is on the contrary. Since the latter has for small wheels and you have literally control all of them with your body, here everything is pretty simple as your aim is to control only a roller and your balance.
Standing on a balance board try to roll from one side to another. The more time you can keep balance, the better for you.
If you work out regularly, the optimal time of balancing is between 5 and 7 minutes; the main principle that it should be comfy for you to keep that balance.
As well as snowboard, skate is all about twists and turns.
You must be confident that you will handle this twist, and that one, and even these ones over there, behind fountain.
THIS EXERCISE IS AIMED TO TEACH YOU PERFECT TWISTS AND TURNS.
- The starting position is standing on a balance board, keep balance for 30-60 secs.
- Then put your left foot on the left edge of the balance board and keep balance for one more minute.
- Now try to carry your body weight to your right leg, let your left one follow its moves.
- Gently and slowly try to turn balance board clockwise.
Since you are a novice, no sharp moves allowed, do it slowly, step by step and centimeter after centimeter. Your aim is to go round-the-clock and anticlockwise. Do at least three rounds for each leg, both clockwise and anticlockwise.
3. Classical squat with weight plate
No doubts classical squat is one of the best exercises ever. We offer you to make it more complicated and do squats with your arms forward. If you are a novice not only in skateboarding, but in sports, it means your body is not prepared for a combination of exercise and balance.
Follow our step-by-step tutorial to perform classical squat as a professional.
- First do simple squats, 3 sets, 15 reps.
- Now stand on a balance board and keep balance for 30 seconds – 1 minute. Do not stand on a board too long, 1 minute is enough.
- Now try to do a classical squat on a board, do 3 sets and 5 reps.
If you feel confident on a board, put your arms straight forward and do 3 sets, 5 reps in this position. Do not be afraid if you got tired — go off your balance board and take a break.
IF YOU ARE OK WITH BALANCING AND CLASSICAL SQUADS ON A BOARD, WHY NOT TO TRY IT WITH WEIGHT PLATE?
- Take a weight plate and stand on a board, keep balance up to 1 minute.
- Now try to do a squat with a weight plate, repeat 3-5 times.
You can raise the number of sets and reps if you feel you can do more.
4. Turns on a balance board
As we have already mentioned, turns and twists for skateboarding is like water for fish.
LET US TRY TO DO ONE MORE EXERCISE TURNING RIGHT ON A BALANCE BOARD.
It is more complicated than the second one, but it provides you excellent opportunities to learn how to keep your balance before or while jumping in turn.
- The initial position: stand on a balance board and try to keep balance for 2-3 minutes.
- Now slowly turn your right foot to the right and keep balancing in this position.
- Return to the starting position.
- Now repeat with the left foot.
- Once you feel more confident, turn your right feet to the right and try to do a semi-squad to the right.
- Repeat up to 5 times.
- Do the same with the left foot.
This exercise is aimed to teach you how to keep balance before or during turns and twists while skateboarding.
5. Balance Board and Jump Rope
Having exercises with your balance board and skating for weeks, you probably want to conquer new horizons and try something new.
Here you go — the quintessence of strength and balance means balance board and jump rope.
- Speaking about jump rope choice, make sure it is high-quality and not short. The length of jumping rope should double your height.
- The initial position: standing on the flood, do up to 20 jumps with jump rope.
- Now stand on a balance board with a jump rope and keep balance for 1 minute.
If it seems too complicated for you, you can put a jump rope on your neck so it will hand; you will be able to keep balance with hands or you can ask your friend to help you.
We recommend to put a jump rope on your neck and keep balancing until you feel confident. Now take jump rope and try to do your first jump on a balance board.
If you are a novice, do not be embarrassed if you fall down to the floor.
To avoid any injuries, we recommend to use sports protection or do exercises on a sports mat.
6. Smells Like Moon Walk
- The initial position: stand on a balance board and keep balance for 1-2 minutes.
- Now turn your body to the right and try to keep balance perpendicularly to the board.
- Once you feel confident, try to walk along the board.
- Repeat several times for each side.
Among all exercises in this workout, this one is the toughest one.
First, you have to learn how to keep balance perpendicularly; second, you have to keep balancing even when you are on the edge.
But we promise: once you’ve learnt this exercise, you’ll be on the edge of glory.
The “walking” exercise does lots of good for skaters since you’re finding out how to feel balance board with your whole body and, most importantly, how to do turns, twists and stand on the edge.
Bonus: if you have been exercises for weeks, try to end this exercise with an effective trick. All you need to do is to slide off your board, in other words, you should stay standing on a roller.
Make sure you are protected enough for this exercise — we recommend to use special protection or workout on a sports mat.
7. Partner balancing
Finishing this workout for skaters, we’d like to present you a simple but very effective partner balancing exercise.
All you need is a friend with a balance board.
- The initial position: put balance board one in front of the other one and stand on it.
- You and your friend have to stand back to back.
- Try to keep balance and take your friend’s hand without any turns.
- If you feel confident keeping balance, take a ball, a boomerang or any other small object and try to give it to your friend with one hand.
- Starting from the right side, let your friend fetch it to you from the left side.
Mind your back — it must be straight; at the same time you should be flexible to be able to handle fetching.
This is an excellent exercise to continue skating together; it will make you more confident when it comes to staking in pairs.
That is it. Keep in mind that doing these exercises regularly will surely open new horizons for you.
Combine work outs with balance board and classical skateboard to become a guru of balance.
Successful balancing is a key factor of success when it comes to skating, that’s why mind time gaps and do not miss workouts.
It is recommended to do this workout at least two times a week to get results only in a month or two.
Remember that you can do these exercises near the seaside, at home or while traveling, that’s why we recommend to take your balance board with yourself and do exercises once you have a spare minute.